The Santa Clara Youth Soccer League & the PAL Soccer Organization Need Your Support to Save Soccer Park from the NFL, the City of Santa Clara Leadership, and the 49ers.
GOAL: 959 signatures
- Please Sign the Petition.
- Email the Mayor of Santa Clara and the City Council Members requesting: (1) They protect the Soccer Park facility from destruction (2) Create an Open & Transparent Process to negotiate a deal with the Super Bowl 50 Committee and the NFL (3) Do not spend Santa Clara General Funds to repair soccer park. (4) Represent and protect the citizens of Santa Clara. Email them at: MayorAndCouncil@santaclaraca.gov
- Spread the news so we collect more signatures.
- Attend the Santa Clara City Council Meeting on Dec. 8th at 6pm to show your support in soccer uniforms. Location: 1500 Warburton Avenue, Santa Clara, CA 95050 .
We, the leaders and parents of the Santa Clara Youth Soccer and PAL Leagues, have worked cooperatively with the Santa Clara City Leadership for the last six months to prepare for Super Bowl 50. We know that the Santa Clara Youth Soccer Park (SCYSP) is an important facility to ensure the success of the game and we know that this is an important event for the city of Santa Clara.
We pledged to cooperate on a plan that would provide the facility to the Super Bowl for a reasonable period of time since we know that the staging of an event of this scale is not simply a one-day event.
We also believed the commitment of city leaders who in turn pledged to find a reasonable and comparable alternative to the soccer park which is used daily and serves over 1,000 children.
To date, there has been some progress made between the Santa Clara Parks & Recreation Department working with SCYSL and PAL to find temporary training fields for 3 months (January-March), however, the soccer community have received little information or concrete proposals regarding the use plan by the NFL.
We have heard of plans to construct a media village on the soccer fields which would require approximately 6-9 months of setup then re-construction.
We have also heard that the city must absorb these costs. Such a plan is unacceptable to the soccer community and we believe the citizens of Santa Clara would strongly object as well.
Without information and communication, we now believe that the city is acting irresponsibly and secretively in an effort that will jeapordize the SCYSL & PAL 2016 Soccer Seasons, and cause serious damage to the Santa Clara Youth Soccer Park.
So, we ask the Santa Clara City Council to formally establish these guiding principles before any agreement may be negotiated to use the SCYSP for Super Bowl 50:
- PROCESS – All proposals shall be vetted in an open and transparent process by the city council at a public meeting to work on an appropriate plan.
- TEMPORARY SOCCER FIELD LOCATIONS – SCYSL and PAL Board designated members must be involved in the site selection and approval of temporary soccer fields.
- DISPLACEMENT COSTS – The NFL or the Super Bowl Committee, not the taxpayers of Santa Clara, shall pay for all soccer field rental fees necessary to provide uninterrupted access to equivalent soccer fields until the Soccer Park reopens.
- REPAIR/REPLACEMENT COSTS – The NFL assumes all responsibility for the Soccer Park facility during their possession of the property, and promises to return the property in equal or better condition. The NFL shall be liable for any loss, theft, damage or destruction of the Soccer Park property.
We believe that the city council must assert its authority as the representatives of the people of Santa Clara.
The soccer community have been disappointed in the past when the majority of the council dismissed the 49ers pledge to build additional soccer fields. If the 49ers had done as they had promised, or if the city had pushed them to do so, we would not likely be in this predicament. We’re concerned that any verbal agreement made by the 49’ers or the NFL will not be upheld and enforced by the City and/or Council.
We hope Super Bowl 50 will not be another example of the city council majority failing to Stand Up for Santa Clara.
Help protect the Soccer Park facility by signing this petition and show the City of Santa Clara Leadership, the NFL & the San Francisco 49ers that we value our kids in our community.
Thank you for your support!
Santa Clara Youth Soccer League
Santa Clara PAL Organization
Stand Up for Santa Clara
Thank you former Mayor Patricia Mahan. I hope it’s not too late to save our Youth Soccer Park and our neighborhood parks, such as Montague Park. I stand with you and ALL of Santa Clara.
Bobbie Fuller commented on A message from Kathy Watanabe-Santa Clara Community Leader 2015-04-19 13:11:11 -0700I did not support the stadium in an effort to stand up for Santa Clara. Now local officials want to tear apart Montague Park (SaveMontaguePark.com) in order to build fields. We need to stand up for ALL of Santa Clara or not at all.